Below is the Call for Abstracts for this year’s graduate student conference,
“Self and Other”. Click here to download the CFA as a PDF.
The 21st Annual
CUNY Graduate Philosophy Conference
Theme: Self and Other
Keynote Speakers: Dr. Akeel Bilgrami (Columbia University);
Dr. Daniel Kolak (William Paterson University)
Venue: Department of Philosophy, The Graduate Center, CUNY, New York, NY
Date: March 23, 2018
Deadline for submissions: January 5, 2018
We invite abstract submissions on any topic related to the conference theme, broadly construed. Descriptions of the self and our conception of the other – including the relationship between the two concepts – may be explored in any area of philosophy. Some topics for consideration include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Social practices of othering – seen through the lens of gender, race, colonialism
- Personal Identity—metaphysical explanations, ethical consequences of distinctions at the personal level
- Boundaries and borders between and within individuals
- Philosophy of mind and explanations of the “self”
- Knowledge of self and other
- The socially constructed “self,” the socially constructed “other”
- Aesthetic perspectives on belonging or alienation
- The politics and power of inclusion (or exclusion)
- Reification of self or other in mainstream philosophy of language
- Existentialism and the radical self
- Deep Ecology and confounds for the self/other distinction
- First personal perspective, third personal perspective and the relationship between them
- All submissions must be prepared for blind review, with identifying information (name, affiliated institution, email address) included only in the body of your submission email/as a separate cover sheet
- Submitted abstracts must be between 250 – 500 words in length
- Submitted abstracts must be sent as .doc, .docx, or .pdf files, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Accepted papers will be announced by February 1st.
Selected submissions will be allotted 15-20 minutes presentation time, followed by Q&A.
Please direct any inquiries to email@example.com.