Barbara Montero Awarded Two NEH Fellowships

Professor Barbara Montero was awarded an NEH fellowship for both summer 2015 and the 2015-2016 academic year to finish her book Thought and Effort in Expert Action, (which was started during a ACLS Ryskamp Research Fellowship during the 2007-2008 academic year) The academic year announcement is posted here http://www.neh.gov/divisions/research/grant-news/fellowships-2014. These are Montero’s second and third NEH fellowships.  Her first was for research on proprioception during the 2004-2005 academic year.

From the introduction:

Science, Richard Feynman once said, is the belief in the ignorance of experts. If so—though I wouldn’t put it in quite those words—then perhaps my project should be dubbed scientific, for it is my belief that a wide range of experts who have written about expertise have been mistaken. In particular, I believe that various psychologists, philosophers, neuroscientists, and other experts on high-level performance have erroneously concluded that expert action proceeds best when the mind is relatively less active, when action occurs automatically, and when bodily movements are effortless. These expertise-experts, I believe, are wrong…

Image: lucasevmiller